We have been debating a trip to Southern California (aka Disneyland) for the last 10 years. I have always said NO and Aaron has always tried to convince me why this was something we needed to do.
I finally last year said yes because we would be to the point where we would have a 9, 7, 5 and 2 year old that would enjoy it. No pregnancy, no baby, just four boys out to have FUN! SO, Aaron started planning! Then we found out we were having a baby and I said, nevermind and he said, too bad you said yes. We bought the tickets in June when Lindsay was just a few weeks old and we were commited. I have been anxious and excited and nervous and down right scared for 6 months to spend 8 days away from home with our Bedlemites and all that that entails BUT... it was the most wonderful week we have ever had and I don't know honestly how it could have been any better. Well, okay I do because there were a couple of rough things but it WAS really great!
Day 1
We spent the first day driving to California. This was without a doubt the worst day of the trip, but it was to be expected. We got away a little later than had planned and then we hit a snow storm through most of central Utah. We stopped in St. George for Sacrament then drove to a park to change clothes and make a lunch and then off we went. Jared cried most of the way because he wanted to be held. Lindsay cried for a while I think because Jared was crying. Trevor fell asleep and wet his pants so woke up screaming and had a mess to clean up, involving unloading luggage from the rack up top. We planned to not stop but ended up stopping just for a break for dinner and we got nasty comments and stares and the kids were crazy in the Burger King... but 14 hours later WE MADE IT!!! We checked in, got the kids a snack and went to bed. I was a little apprehensive about what the next day would be like since this one was NOT so good.
Day 2
DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so excited that we were up and dressed and ready to go before breakfast was even ready. But we ate and packed up and headed out and got there just minutes before the park opened. For future reference you need a photo ID to use your City Pass at the park. Oops. But the lady was super nice and let me in! Phew! At least it was only a 1/2 block walk to the hotel if she hadn't let me in.
We had SO much fun. The lines were not too bad this day. There was a wait on most things but not too bad. We did wait a while for the Nemo ride and for Autopia but other than that it really wasn't bad at all. We got to meet Mickey and Goofy and see a bunch of others. I was disappointed in the amount of characters that were out and about. I expected to see a TON.
Jared was a bit cross this day but overall he wasn't too bad. He didn't want to stay in the stroller so I regretted the sit and stand. We put the seat back in for the rest of the trip :( Oh well, I still love my stroller and was soooo glad we had it.
Lindsay was super duper cute in her Minnie Mouse outfit. SO dang cute that this lady stopped and was just gushing over her. I mean gushing. We had gotten about a million and one comments all day long about how cute she is but this lady even asked to take her picture with Lindsay!!! It was one of those moments that I didn't know what to say, "umm, Sure!" She is a pretty baby!!!
We made it all the way until close and really enjoyed the fireworks at the end of the night. I had thought, oh they are just fireworks so if we miss it oh well but it was so magical and emotional and I just felt so excited and even teared up during the show. It really is a magical place.
Day 3
CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
We were up and ready and to the park just minutes before opening again and had a plan! I took the older 3 and we rushed as fast as we could in the mob of people to the new Cars Land and got in line for the Cars Racers. Aaron took the younger 2 who couldn't go on it and got fast passes for the Cars Racers. It took us an entire hour to get through the line! But, I had heard that it was like 2.5 hours for some before so it wasn't too bad I guess. Aaron took them again afterwards so they got to go twice. Not too bad.
Horray for Cars Land!!!
Jared and one of his favorite characters of all time :) Ka-Chow
She loved the carousel. I mean really, she giggled and just held on to the bar so tight.
The other longer line was the Toy Story Mania ride which was really fun and worth the wait as well.
Day 4
We took a theme park break and headed down to San Diego today. We stopped at the beach so that the kids could see the ocean for the first time ever and they had a BLAST playing in the sand. I hate the clean up after but it was so worth it just to see them enjoy it and have so much fun. The water was cold but they loved having it splash their toes. They tried building a sand castle and despite my lecture on NOT GETTING WET all ended up with wet jeans up to their thighs. Oh well.
We only stayed about half an hour and then headed around the corner to SEA WORLD!!!!! I love Sea World. I remember going in San Antonio as a little girl and have always wanted to go back. It was a great day. I think it is SO amazing the things they can train these animals to do. We enjoyed a few shows and seeing all the really neat animals.
Jared was more interested in chasing the sea gulls than in seeing the animals that we paid to come see. Silly kid!
We let them each pick one souvenir for the trip, Trevor got this super cute killer whale. He loves polar bears so I thought he was going in to buy a polar bear and he came out of the store with this huge smile and I said, "let me see it" and he pulled out this whale (orca he calls it) and I just giggled.
The highlight for me was that when Aaron Trevor and Landon went to ride a roller coaster the rest of us decided to go see the Rays and took a path past the dolphins again. The trainers were out and there were just a few people around watching them. I was sure they were going to kick us out since the crowd was so small, it must be a special group but we walked right up to the pool and were right there next to the dolphins!!! Now, a childhood dream was always to get to touch a dolphin. To be that kid they picked to help. So we are standing there watching and the trainer looks right at me and says "go ahead and put your hand in the water." I am pretty sure my jaw dropped, my eyes lit up and I was a terrible mother for 2 seconds and instead of making sure Jared got his hand ready I stuck my hand in. Well, the 2 seconds lasted only 2 seconds and I quickly grabbed him and we got to pet the dolphin as she swam by!!!! Then again she went by on her back so we could touch her belly. I am still smiling at the memory and of course I couldn't take a picture because I was too busy enjoying being IN the moment but oh well. Andrew, Jared and I got to pet the dolphin... twice!!!!
This is the dophin we touched. Not us touching it obviously but this is it!!!
Day 5
We decided to split up a little this day. Aaron took the older 3 to the park for the Early Magic Morning pass so they got there around 8 and Jared and Lindsay and I slept in and took it a little slower since Lindsay didn't sleep ANY of the nights we were gone. And I was spent. But, adrenaline is a mighty powerful thing. We got to the park about 9:30 (so not too late) and rode the rest of the rides that we hadn't ridden on the first day at Disneyland. We got to see a few more characters as well.
About half way through the day we headed to California Adventure to finish up that park as well and by the end of the day we had done everything we wanted to and a lot of it 2 or 3 or 4 times. There were almost NO lines this day! Really! It was so awesome.
We quit a little bit early so we could get to bed a tad bit earlier... a tad I said :)
We finally got to see Minnie and Lindsay had JUST fallen asleep. I should have woken her up, I only had a second to make the decision and decided to let her sleep. But, Jared was very excited to see her and even more excited when he got a kiss on the cheek! He talked about that for the rest of the day... and days to come!
These two little troopers were so worn out. We sat down for a few minutes to wait for Disney Junior and I couldn't even get him to wake up to go see Chip and Dale. It was a great power nap though!
Jared acting out the part with Jake at Disney Junior Live
Minnie Mouse outfit #2 :)
California Screamer. I think that this was Landon's favorite ride... maybe mine too. I had to pose the scream for you though haha. We weren't even moving yet ;)
Andrew and Landon for their souvenir both chose to build their own Light Sabers. Landon went with purple ??? because it was a combination of his two favorite colors he said, blue and red. Makes sense.
Andrew of course did blue.
Jared and his love for Mickey and Star Wars got a Jedi Mickey. It is super cute.
Day 6
This was suppose to be a really fun day at UNIVERSAL STUDIOS but we had to have one not so good day I suppose. Andrew got sick JUST as we pulled up to the parking garage and threw up ALL over himself and our brand new van. YUCK!!!! It was devastating because we had just driven all the way to Hollywood and had NOTHING for him to change into. He is not a sandels guy but we luckily had some flip flops in the back from the beach day. Aaron took him to the bathroom to wash out his pants and so with wet pants and flip flops he put on a super great attitude, which I did not, and we started our day. Well it turned out to be a cold overcast windy day and we were cold. It was not fun. We did do the bus tour which was AMAZING but after that we let the kids play in the balls for a while while we shivered and teeth chattered. Aaron and Landon and Trevor got to go on a few rides while I nursed Lindsay and then we called it quits. It really was too bad. The traffic was a nightmare getting back through LA and it took us like 4x as long to get back than to get there. Ugh!!! I don't know how people do it. Luckily, Andrew felt a lot better and it was just those few disastrous moments. Poor kid.
Jared was SOOO excited to see George. He loves George. He has a George doll that he carries around and sleeps with. He gave George the BIGGEST hugs and just stared at him forever with a smile. It was cute and I was so happy that they guy in the suit was SO nice to him and hugged him just as big back. Thanks George!
The bus tour was really really cool. They have all these scenes that are from movies and special effects and it is just mind blowing to me what they can do to make a movie look so real.
And this is what we spent the majority of our day doing.
LA skyline as we crawled past it.
Day 7
It was SO sad to realize this was our last play day. But, we headed back to San Diego and hit the famous San Diego Zoo! It was a lot of hills and a lot of walking and I was so sure that we would ALL be too tired and sore and not make it after the week we had had but we did it. No complaints. It was super fun to see some of the animals we had never seen before. The panda bear sat right there and ate for us. We had a great day.
Yup, she was such a good girl, again. Man I love that cute little face!
Too bad you can't see the zebra stripes on her shirt... her zoo outfit :)
The girl panda (above)
The boy panda (below)
I didn't take a picture but Lindsay got a stuffed little panda bear from the zoo for her souvenir! :)
Day 8
The drive home. Are you worried? I was. It was PERFECT!!!! We got away on time, we only stopped twice for gas and when we did we fed the baby and us and went potty and that was that. We got home at a great time and it could not have been any better. Hallelujah!!!!
WHAT A FUN WEEK!!!!!! I am SO glad that we went. I am so glad that our kids had a blast that they were just the perfect ages to have so much fun. Lindsay could have made this trip miserable. She was the loose cannon that we were unsure about. She didn't sleep much at night except in bed with me, she had a few grumpy moments during the days but she did AWESOME. She was so good to sit in her car seat for 8 days in a row!!!! What a great family we have and it was SO fun to spend this time together. I know that we will look back and remember this forever.
*** I could go on and on and there are still about 400 more pictures (no joke) so if you want to see more come find me ***










No comments:
Post a Comment