Sunday, December 4, 2011

Boston!!!!

*** PICTURES TO COME*** (too lazy and tired tonight)

Aaron this year for his CME trip signed up for the conference in Boston. I have ALWAYS wanted to go there and see this city that is so full of history. With four little boys though I knew that that was not going to happen.  BUT, Aaron bought me a ticket, made arrangements with his sister and his Mom and off we went.  It was so GREAT!!!  We had rain (of course don't we always have rain when we go on trips) the first day but we made lemonade and went to Plymouth in the rain.  We toured the Plantation that they have set up there that has a replica of the settlement of the colonists as well as a Native People dwelling.  It was neat to see the way that they lived and to be thankful for my home!

We drove the mile or two to the Mayflower II replica that is docked at the pier and toured her.  It was POURING and the wind was bitter so it was a fast tour but we got to see it and understand better the small space that those colonists travled in.  YUCK!

Because the rain was so hard we decided to just drive after that.  We headed to Cape Cod, just to see it and say we had.  We found Chatham Lighthouse which is still used by the coast guard.  With the rain she really was lit up and working too.  It was kind of early still so we drove into Rhode Island... just to say we have been to Rhode Island!  It was a good day.



The second day we went into downtown Boston and walked the "Freedom Trail".  They have bricks laid into the sidewalk that take you through town and hit the historical places along the way.  It is about a 2.5 mile walk but I think that day we really walked about 6 or so.  It was really neat and I am glad we did it.

After we got to the end of the trail we walked to the coast and toured the USS Constitution.  That was one of my favorite things.  The navy soldier (Ashley) who took us on the tour told us SO many amazing facts and the history lesson was more than I ever learned in school about that ship.  Her birthday was the next day so we were there the day before she turns 214 years old.  She is the oldest comissioned war ship in the world.  She is 2nd oldest but the other ship is no longer floating on her own.  It was NEAT!!!

We took a ferry back into town and boarded the T, the train, and went up to Cambridge to walk around Harvard.  It was funny because Aaron had on his Y hoodie, not the Yale kind of Y but we are lucky he didn't get beat up anyway!!!

That night when we got back to town we found a restaurant that was nice and had a lobster dinner!  It was so fun.  It was a new experience for both of us and the waiter was probably laughing at us in the kitchen but he was so nice and patient when I asked how to eat the creature sitting on my plate!  He did ask us where we were from that we had never had lobster before. :) hehe.  It was really good.  Probably not my new favorite food but yummy!  We topped off our night with dessert.  Aaron had a Boston Creme Pie of course and I should have but I went with the Chocolate Silk Pie instead, still super yummy!



Friday we had a later flight so we got up and checked out of the hotel and drove up to Lexington and Concord.  The visitors center there had the best video presentation I have ever seen.  It was amazing and I honestly learned more about the war in those 15 minutes than I ever had before.  I had no idea about the different events of that night/morning and day that lead to the war.  I was in tears at the end, embarrassing Aaron, thinking about those people who really were willing to give up their lives for freedom for others.  So that we now live in this free land.  It was touching.  I am grateful for the strong forefathers of our nation and it breaks my heart to see our Country now taking that for granite and tearing down those strong values they gave thiers lives to build up.  God bless the USA!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment